Babies need an adequate amount of sleep. That’s not to say just about any sleep. It has to be consistent and uninterrupted.
Studies show that newborn babies need at least 18 hours of sleep. And that is divided into three or four times a day including daytime naps and night sleep.
But it is best to keep them comfortable when they are trying to sleep.
A swaddle is a good way to keep them comfortable so they can sleep well during the day and the night.
Before swaddling the baby, you have to pick a good material to use as a blanket and wrap. It has to be breathable, light and allows for little movements so that your baby is not too constricted.
One of the best pieces of cloth you can use is a muslin blanket. It is a finely-woven and lightweight cotton material that is used generally for infant care.
Despite their breathability, they are also durable which makes them perfect for other purposes. You can use them as a burp cloth, nursing cover, wiping cloth, cover for the car seat, and a ton of other uses for your baby.
In this article, we will teach you a simple way of swaddling your baby using a muslin blanket.
- Spread the blanket on a level surface.
- Fold the blanket from the corner.
- Place your baby’s head above the fold. Their shoulders should be slightly below the fold.
- Wrap one side of the blanket over your baby with their hands tucked inside.
- Tuck the cloth under them.
- Fold up the bottom of the blanket. Careful not to wrap the blanket too right. Your baby should still be able to move slightly.
- Lastly, wrap the remaining side over your baby and tuck it in.
A swaddle is a simple way of helping your baby achieve sleep and rest regularly.
Among the additional benefits you can get from swaddling are:
- Better sleep for the baby.
- Reduces the effect of the startle reflex.
- It helps soothe them if they are over-stimulated by reflex or are tired.
- Mimics the “hold” of a mother’s womb, which is helpful in comforting newborns.
- Keeps the baby sleeping on their backs and prevents rolling over. This is one of the things that cause Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
You don’t always need a crib with an automatic rocker. Swaddling them with a simple muslin blanket will prove helpful and beneficial to you and you’re newborn.