Are your doggie’s eating habits causing you concern? The following article discusses the differences between a dog who’s being fussy, and a dog who’s in distress.
As dog owners, we’ve probably all experienced moments when our dogs decide that they just don’t feel like eating the same old, same old. However, while pickiness is a behavior that can be corrected by stopping giving treats or offering a variety of meal choices, it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish when they’re bored with their food and when they aren’t eating because of a deeper problem. If your dog is just being picky, they’ll probably exhibit the following signs:
- They are high energy and playful.
- Their coat is thick and shiny.
- There isn’t any change in urine or stool production.
- They’re still interested in (and will happily eat) your food!
Even if all else seems normal, it’s still a good idea to take your dog’s appetite seriously. Here are the reasons why your dog may not be eating properly.
- Your dog may be experiencing digestive issues. Nausea and diarrhea accompanied by unwillingness to eat are serious medical issues – contact your veterinarian immediately.
- Your dog could have dental problems. Dental pain from bad teeth or mouth sores could also be the culprit. Take a look in your dog’s mouth and check for any obvious signs of decay or distress. Also, they might have something caught in their teeth or in their gums that needs to be extracted.
- Your dog could be reacting to medications. Certain medications cause a reduced appetite. The nutritional deficiency from lack of food will not only lead to additional medical problems, it could exacerbate an existing condition, since it will be more difficult to administer their medication (if it has to be taken with food). While many pet owners and advocates endorse the use of CBD oil for reduced appetite, check with your vet before purchasing any CBD products. Your veterinarian will give you the most appropriate and effective strategies for increasing their appetite.
Nutrient deficiency can lead to significant health concerns, so it’s important that you take any changes in your dog’s eating habits seriously. If you are looking for affordable, high-quality pet food formulas, a few good brands are Castor & Pollux, Blue Buffalo, and Zignature dog food. DCM, pancreatitis, and kidney disease are all exacerbated by poor nutrition.
To read more on topics like this, check out the health category.