Pests are undeniably a nuisance; their presence can cause annoyance, frustration and even stress. Let’s face it, nobody wants to live in the same place as pests because they are not only disgusting, but also hazardous to both your home and health. So, read on for some tips on how to solve a pest infestation.
1. Pest control
One of the best ways to solve a pest infestation problem is by hiring pest control services. This is because they are professionals and so will be able to determine and locate the exact problem(s) and nature of the infestation and tackle it efficiently. There are many benefits of hiring a pest control service, which include:
- Saving time- Everybody is busy these days and many people have several commitments and responsibilities to manage. So, it would not be surprising if you did not have the time in the day to deal with pests singlehandedly. Hiring a pest control service would not only save you time, but also stress, as you know the problem is being handled quickly and efficiently by experts.
- It is safer – often dealing with pest infestations will involve handling dangerous and toxic chemicals and/or equipment. More often than not, it will be safer if those handling said chemicals and equipment were professionals, instead of you (assuming you have little to no experience in the task).
- Keeping diseases out – Hiring a pest control service will also ensure that you and your family are protected from diseases. Often pests carry numerous diseases including Lyme disease, salmonella, tapeworm and typus, to name a few. So, rather than personally handling the pests which carry easily transmittable diseases, getting a professional to do the job will drastically reduce the likelihood of you getting infected or spreading the diseases further. Remember, they are professionals for a reason, they know what they are doing and have all the protection needed.
2. Identify the problem
As stated above, arguably the best ways to get rid of a pest infestation is by hiring pest control. However, for some people this option is not possible, for instance due to financial circumstances. So perhaps you seek solutions that can be done by yourself and ones which are more affordable. To do this, you must first identity the problem:
- If you suspect a rodent infiltration, check and inspect your house for any droppings (usually the size of a rice grain), odour (ammonia-type smell), damage (chewed up nesting materials like cardboard) and noise (Scurrying sounds in walls or floorboards).
- For wasp and hornet infestations, check for any potential entry points (for example around bricks and in-between tiles) and look for any internal nests.
- For woodlice, check for signs of decay of wood and dampness (conditions in which they thrive).
As you can probably tell, the measures that need to be taken to solve a pest infestation by yourself, differ dependent on the nature and type of infestation and will often require a lot of work. You can try home remedies for pest control which include garlic-mint insect spray, hot pepper spray and coffee grounds, if you want to experiment.