As we head fully into the festive season, thoughts naturally turn to the New Year. Once Santa has been and all the turkey has been eaten, many will begin to plan out their goals for the coming 12 months. Everyone knows about New Year’s resolutions as they have been around for many, many years. If you do not make any usually, they can actually be a great way of mapping out what you want to achieve in the coming year and how you will go about it.
One area that many will make resolutions around is fitness, particularly going to the gym. New gym membership always spikes straight after the Christmas period each year due to this. Some gyms can see a membership increase of around 18% in the period after Christmas!
However, you may already be a seasoned gym bunny but decide to use New Year as a chance to reflect on your current regime or habits. This is worthwhile as it can really help you get extra motivation to carry on at a higher level or clarify why you might not be seeing the results you expected in the previous year.
Top gym tips for the New Year
If you plan on making New Year’s resolutions based on your new venture into the gym or based on what you already do there, here are some great tips to help out:
- Go regularly – whether you make plans to sign up with a gym in the New Year or are already a member at one, this is one fantastic tip to make a resolution about. The biggest reason why people do not see the results they expect or get the full value from a gym is simply not going regularly. Once or twice a month is not enough! As part of your New Year’s resolutions, make sure to commit to a weekly routine where you go at least twice.
- Switch it up – another great gym tip to make part of your New Year’s resolutions is to change up your routine. If you always go and do purely cardio work, then try to get some strength training in there also. If you always go on the same few machines, then try to start including others in your workout. This will not only be more enjoyable but also help to hit different muscles.
- Talk to more people – if you go the gym with your head down and never speak to people, then you are missing out on so much. Although not a social club, a lot of the benefits that people take from gyms is the social interaction with others. Talking to more people will widen your circle of friends and also give you people to ask if you are not sure how to use a machine. Just pick your moments – no one wants to talk about last night’s TV when in the middle of a hardcore bench press session.
- Drink more water – although this is probably one of your resolutions from last year, you may not have followed through with it! Drinking plenty of water when at the gym will keep you hydrated and allow you to perform better. This will mean that you hit more reps or spend more time on a machine to get fitter.
- Brush up on gym etiquette – this could apply to all gym goers but is certainly a good resolution for newbies. While gyms are friendly places in general, nothing will annoy other members more than showing poor etiquette. For your New Year’s resolutions, plan to pay as much attention as you can to this and get better at it. Even if it is just remembering to put the machines back as they were when you started out, it is worth it.
Think about using Tommie Copper compression wear
The Tommie Copper brand should also be part of your gym-based New Year plans. This successful and top-quality brand produces compression wear clothing to help performance and support your body when working out. Not only does it look great, but it can really help in reducing post-workout stiffness and soreness. If you have not tried this type of clothing out before, then it is a really good idea.
Make the gym your New Year priority
Fitness is so important to living a healthy life that you cannot ignore it. While some fool themselves into believing that they will work out regularly at home (until the TV or fridge calls!), most will use a gym. Not only does this give you the impetus to work out, but it will also provide the facilities to do it in style. If you need some ways to make your gym sessions better in the New Year, then the above should help.